This extraordinary, limited edition collection was meticulously made by hand in our factory in Mulhouse, France. As with every textile produced, DMC is proud of the craftsmanship behind creating the Golden Skein. As such, we are inviting you to take a behind-the-scenes look into how this extraordinary collection was made.
From one fine thread, a work of art is born
1746 - 2016
270 years of creativity and innovation
The Story of a Family and the Spirit of Innovation
In 1746 Jean Henri DOLLFUS and two Alsatian entrepreneurs took advantage of the fashion for painted fabrics to become pioneers in the industrial production of Indian, hand-painted printed fabrics. After nearly a century of production, 800 employees were producing 34,000 items per year. DMC began producing sewing, embroidery, and crochet threads. In In the spring of 1800, Daniel DOLLFUS married Anne-Marie MIEG, who became part of the company a woman who was integral to a female-oriented business. DOLLFUS MIEG & Co was born. In 1850, DMC discovered chemist John Mercer s invention, mercerising, the treating cotton thread with caustic soda, giving it strength, longevity, and a silky and bright appearance. The result, DMC Sp cial Moulin or embroidery floss, became the world s most sold embroidery thread, renowned by every embroiderer for its technical qualities, ease of use, and incredible range of colors.
- 573 colors (all threads)
- 1,000,000 DMC Six Strand Embroidery Floss skeins sold every day throughout the world
To Celebrate 270 Years
DMC has created a unique symbol of our heritage to share with a world that reveres the artistry and beauty of meticulous handwork. The ultimate symbol of our world is also the most appreciated product by every embroiderer: DMC Embroidery Floss.
Introducing The Golden Skein, in an exclusive and limited edition
- The precious composition does not allow machine tension for the construction.
- A unique artisanal system for manual production was designed and handmade.
- Such a system cannot be find anywhere in the world.
- From thread wrapping to labeling, production of one skein takes 2 minutes.
- The sealing wax is laid down on the thread entirely manually
Limited Edition Luxury Box
- A numbered Golden Skein
- A certificate of authenticity.
- A 24 page bound book narrating DMC s venerable history plus 19th century stitching charts from the DMC archives in Mulhouse
- French and English texts plus booklet with translations in 12 languages
- A gift card for giving
- Embossed ribbon tie box
- Historical DMC logo colors
- ONLY 17,460 Boxes AVAILABLE THROUGHOUT THE WORLD
Love and Threads, The Commonthread Team